So I got some blood test results back today. And as usual I loved NERDING-OUT over them. One of the things I noticed, and actually from the past 3 rounds of blood tests I’ve had done, is that I have a low white blood cell count. And it’s been declining. The number has consistently gotten smaller.
Incase you don’t know, the amount of white blood cells can give a view into the health of your immune system. Having a few too little means my system might need a little reboot. There are several things that can affect the health of your immune system. One being STRESS, which I have unfortunately been dealing with a lot lately. So I’m not all that surprised that I need to do a little work.
So what’s a girl with a weak immune system to do? Well for one REST! But luckily theres a few foodies, health goodies, and just plain old advice to help your girl out.
– Avoid sugar. Sugar prevents white blood cells from being their strongest
– Get rid of unhealthy fats, like Polyunsaturated fats in vegetable oils such as corn, safflower, and sunflower oil. They work against creating a healthy immune system.
– Extra weight can also lower a person’s immune system, overweight individuals have a harder time fighting off infections.
– Stay hydrated, plus helps toxins leave the body and not excite the immune system
– Exercise is a great immune boosting tactic. But be careful, TOO MUCH can cause stress, leading to lowered immunity.
– SUPER IMPORTANT: Avoid stress and try to relax, maybe grab your fav book or fiddle around with some yoga poses.
Immunity Boosting Foodies
– Carrots and other red, yellow, orange, and dark-green leafy vegetables, its their BETA CAROTENE which makes them so great for immune system health!
HEALTH NERD FACT 1: Beta Carotene helps protect the immune system especially the thymus gland.
– Your probably sick of hearing how much of a superfood KALE is but its great for your immune system, thanks to its high vitamin A content. 1 Cup of kale satisfies your daily requirement
HEALTH NERD FACT 2: Vitamin A is an AWESOME antioxidant that helps to fight cancer cells and increases the ability of antibodies to respond to invaders!
Health Goodies or Supplements
– NOW THIS IS INTERESTING … I need to try : “Oleander extract in herbal supplement form. One herbal oleander based supplement was 100% effective in a clinical trial of raising white blood cell counts in HIV/AIDS patients with extremely compromised immune systems.”
– Astragalus root helps stimulate white blood cells and protects against invading organisms. It also enhances production of the important natural compound interferon to fight against viruses.
– Zinc is necessary for white blood cell function and it acts as a catalyst in the immune system’s killer response to foreign bodies. I take my Zinc every morning.
Tip: Take zinc away from magnesium because the two minerals compete so one will get absor
– Vitamin C is an immune enhancer that helps white blood cells perform at their peak and quickens the immune system response.
-Selenium is really important to the developement of white blood cells, luckily it’s included in my new iodine supplement.
–Echinacea helps to stimulate the immune system, thanks to one of my favorite teas I should be on my way to a higher white blood cell count soon! Plus its great to have on hand incase you feel like your getting a cold.
A few other immune boosters are pau d arco ( my favorite for candida overgrowth), suma, medicinal mushrooms, beta glucans and aloe vera.
I hope you’ve learned a bunch about your immune system and now know how to protect yourself from your office’s next round of the snuffles.
Bite Me, With Love