So I’m a little late this year with my spring cleaning, it is the end of May, but as the saying goes, better late than never. When I say cleaning I’m more referring to CLEANSING. Over the years not only do our closet fill up with things we no longer need, but so do our bodies. You really don’t need to keep that hat your ex gave you 3 Christmas’s ago … TOXIC.. no thanks, the same thing goes for our bodies. Toxins accumulate as we are exposed to more and more CHEMICALS on a daily basis and to help feel our best selves a good cleanse now and again is exactly whatcha need
You can cleanse with juices, you can cleanse with eating fresh veg or even just water for the crazies out there, thats a little to intense for my liking. I choose to cleanse with a nourishing BONE BROTH. Bone broth not only cleanse but it also strengthens your digestive system. Many of us have whats called leaky gut. If your a fan of Dr. Josh Axe, then I’m sure you’ve heard this topic mentioned in many of his talks. He actually has his own brand of bone broth and collagen which I’ve heard is pretty good. No offense to him but I still prefer to make my own… Independent AF.
What is the point of a bone broth cleanse?
If you haven’t heard Dr. Axe’s explaination, no worries.. here are the most important tid bits.
- Helps to Heal and Seal the Gut to prevent molecules from breaking through and reeking havoc, these leaked out molecules in some cases can be a root cause of autoimmune disorders!
- Resets your Leptin Levels, as any fast would. Leptin is the hormone responsible for our SAIETY, when its out of whack its hard to listen to your bodies cues for hunger and fullness.
- Clearer Mind, this is from my own personal experience, I find that after my bone broth cleanses I am able to think clearer and focus better
- Feel in Control of Appetite, this goes along with reseting your leptin levels, I always feel like I am better able to ignore cravings and go about my day.
- Healthier Hair, Skin, and Nails, thanks to increased collagen, the building block for all our beauty bits.
- Better Nutrient Absorption, with a healthier gut lining comes the potential for the nutrients you get from the food you eat to be better absorbed!
How to Make
Get some ORGANIC chicken or beef bones, I prefer mine to still have some fat on them, so the broth is a little more hardy, add all the leafy green veggies, garlic, onions and herbs you desire. PLUS don’t for get the ACIDIC medium, such as Apple Cider Vinegar to help draw out the collagen, and minerals from the bones. Exact recipe and cleanse break down HERE
How do I Start?
You don’t want to just go all in bone broth cleanse mode if you’ve spend the past few months snacking on gluten free pretzels or cooking up your favorite pizza. You’ve got to take it slow. The body doesn’t like too much change too fast and it will get overwhelmed with all the extra toxins being released.
That said, you want to start with 3 days of clean eating, don’t eat anything that comes in a package and only shop on the outer rim of the grocery store. If you can avoid caffeine and dairy thats an even bigger plus! The next 3 days veggies only, you want to create an alkaline environment in the body. Then start up with your bone broth cleanse. It’s helpful if you start making your broth on day 2 of the veggie cleanse so you can make extra and theres enough time to really draw the collagen out.
How Long do I do this?
To get the HORMONE BALANCING benefits you want to go at least 72 hours ( 3 days) because thats how long it takes to reset hormone levels according to the research done by Sara Gottfried’s team. Check out her book on the hormone reset diet HERE.
If your feeling hungry add a 1 tsp of a organic HEALTHY FAT, I like olive oil, to the broth. This will help keep you energized. I stay under 3 Tbsp of fat per day on this portion of the cleanse. I have done 4 days bur this time I decided to do 3 due to time constraints and I still feel as great after these 3 days as I did after 4.
Cheers to Health Babes
- Be gentle with yourself, don’t beat yourself up if you aren’t able to go to your favorite spin class because your too tired. Your body needs a break. Thats what these cleanses are for. Digestion gets a break, your muscles can get a break too.
- Add healthy fats to the broth if you are so hungry you just can’t take it
- Have some of your favorite teas and a little bit of green stevia. Sometimes its nice to have a little sweet taste. I recommend Milk Thistle Tea, as it helps liver function.
- Make a low key activity list, I’m sure you have some extra paperwork or emails to catch up, take this lower energy as a gift and do low key things that you wouldn’t do otherwise.
- Drink PLENTY of WATER, remember your detoxing, water will help flush out the toxins faster so they don’t just accumulate right back up!
Comment any questions below, I’d be happy to answer. I’m sooo passionate about this cleanse, I really feel like it was the final push my body needed to really help clear out my candida!
Bite Me, With Love