My beloved bone broth, heres the exact recipe I use to make it. And if your curious I use my VitaClay Clay pot, basically a clay version of a crock pot. I prefer the clay version because then I don’t worry about heavy metals coming in from the metal of most crock pots.
The Recipe : as always keep the ingredients ORGANIC if possible
- Bones and back skin from 3 Whole Organic Chickens ( roast 3 birds and keep bones in freezer)
- 2-3 Chicken Feet ( if your too grossed out.. omit… its cool.. I feel ya)
- 2 Chopped Onions
- 10 Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Rosemary
- 1 Small Bottle Apple Cider Vinegar
- LOTS of Filtered Water
- Vital Proteins Collagen
- Olive Oil or previously saved Chicken Fat
- Black Pepper
- Himalayan Sea Salt
- Fresh Turmeric Root, might as well add some inflammatory properties to our broth while we are at it.
In a pinch: Premade Organic Bone Broth
You are going to want to plan a little for your cleanse because it will make it a lot easier and more enjoyable if most of the work is already done before you get a little more tired than usual. So I’m going to break the directions down by days of the cleanse….
Remember: First 3 days: Clean Eating, Next 3 Days: Just Veggies, Last 3 Days: Just Bone Broth and then slowly transition back to grains, nuts, and meats.
On the night of Day 2 of your just veggies portion is when you will start making your broth, it takes a good 12-24 hours for the collagen and minerals to really be drawn out of the bones. To begin…
- Get out your cooking instrument
- Place bones of 2 birds, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 onion, 5 garlic cloves, some of the fresh spices, 1/8 cup of chopped turmeric root and two chicken feet into your pot
- Pour filtered water over until almost full, or according to the filling capacity of your machine.
- Set to a low heat and cook for 12 hours, so overnight and when done remove broth ( retain bones) and place in refrigerator, ready incase you run out of the fresh stuff.
Now it is your last day of veggies, so you want to get more bone broth brewing for the first day of your bone broth cleanse.
- Keep bones in pot but add in another chicken foot and a few more bones
- Add more fresh herbs, 2 more tbsp apple cider vinegar turmeric, another onion and more garlic cloves.
- Lastly add the filtered water, and once again cook on low heat for 12 hours
It is now day 1 of your bone broth cleanse and you have fresh bone broth waiting for you in your crock pot. Take a mug full, add some salt, pepper, and 2 scoops of collagen.
The key with the cleanse is to continually refill the crock pot with fresh filtered water as you take more and more broth. On the second day add a few new bones and take out some of the old. Add about 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar each day to be sure your getting the most out of the bones.
The reason you have the back up broth is just incase you drink a lot one day and the broth is really watery, you can heat up the first batch you made.
I drink about 6 to 8 cups a day. 3 of which I add collagen and a Tbsp of fat. This helps me stay ENERGIZED and go about living my normal life without feeling to run down! Feel it out for yourself, everybody is different.
And don’t forget to check up with your doctor about doing a fast… it might not be the best option for everybody. Remember… I’m just a health nut who likes sharing my experiences, not a doctor.